Tuesday 25 December 2012

Merry Christmas

Hopeful 8    Hopeless  2

Merry Christmas to all my readers.  I hope you are enjoying a nice celebration with friends and family today.

Sometimes at the holidays, it is not as easy to stay Hopeful.  For whatever reason (usually a combination of factors in my opinion), we can sometimes feel a bit blue at this time of year.  I have had a bit of this over the past few days myself.  I think being tired and having a certain amount of stress leading up to the holiday has a lot to do with it.  So if you are feeling like this, I would like to make a few suggestions.  Instead of listening to songs like "Blue Christmas" or "Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart", try for something more cheerful!  Remember that though you might be feeling a bit lonelier than on other days of the year, you do not require a girlfriend or boyfriend to enjoy Christmas.  In fact, Christmas is about spending time with friends and family, so there are lots of other people to think about and enjoy sharing the holiday with.  So if you can successfully shift your focus, this helps a lot!

If you believe in cinematherapy like I do, you might try A Boyfriend for Christmas (Hallmark).  It has helped me feel more hopeful at many different times of year.  You can live vicariously through Holly if you don't have someone to bring home to meet your family.  Watching it always makes me feel more cheerful and I like the messages it sends, such as meeting a special person occurs "when two hearts are ready".

Always keep in mind that being single at Christmas is just like being single at any other time of year: it is totally fine.  You don't need to be in a relationship to enjoy the day.  There is nothing wrong with you, even if certain relatives look at you funny (which has happened to me), if you don't show up for Christmas dinner with a date.  Just smile and spread Christmas cheer.  

And of course, Stay Hopeful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment